Inky's Hexen II Mapping Corner...

General Hexen II discussion
Inky

Inky's Hexen II Mapping Corner...

Post by Inky »

Hello,

I'd like to kindly inform the community about my newly born website: Inky's Hexen II Mapping Corner...

As the name suggests, it's all about mapping for Hexen II: the best mapper's tools I know, some mapping tips & tricks of my own, insights, updates about my big project Wheel Of Karma: A Tulku Odyssey...

I am a recent mapper and I had to struggle for literally every aspect of mapping: lmp files, coding, texturing, models, etc.
I didn't know about HexenWorld until very recently and there is afaik no reference wiki about mapping for Hexen II comparable to the one that exists for Quake. That one was very useful to me, granted, but was far from answering all my questions (Hexen was beyond Heretic, and Hexen II is really beyond Quake in many aspects as well).

I hope over time my website will become the missing link and help those interested in mapping for Hexen II in understanding better how things work and/or can be done, and save them days and days of looking for some solutions to mundane problems.

I am by far not the most skilled mapper ever and go on learning every day, so any inputs and/or contribution by the community would be most welcome to make the site grow faster and improve in quality. Please don't hesitate to reference the site in your own projects, websites and posts: the more we backlink our works one to each other, the more we give existence to each other, and the more the game may be heard of and have a resurgence. :)

Inky

Re: Inky's Hexen II Mapping Corner...

Post by Inky »

Update: just added the Ending on a high note page about intermissions. Pretty sure you'll enjoy it. ;)

Inky

Post by Inky »

Update: just added the Follow the Yellow Brick Road page about objectives. Ride a tornado and have a look at it! :)

Inky

Post by Inky »

Update: just added the Fashionable Debris page about 3D model reskinning.

Inky

Post by Inky »

Update: just added the Better call Mario! page about leaks fixing.

Inky

Post by Inky »

Everything you ever wanted to know about ladders in Hexen II without ever daring to ask is to be read on the new Stairway to Heaven page. :)

Inky

Post by Inky »

Life tastes so much better when you cross it by train! Come and taste its finest flavors on the just added Ticket to Ride page. :P

whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

Nice article about alternate debris skins. However, instead of replacing the brownstone chunks, you could instead add a new type. You'd need to add a new identifier (eg. THINGTYPE_REDSTONE) in constant.hc, and add checks for it in chunk.hc.

By the way, I found a couple cool possibilities that I'm not sure have been used often. One is breakable brushes that also remove any torches attached to them. You can make the breaking brush target the torch, but that only switches the torch to it's flameless model. So you need to also target a trigger_relay with a very small delay (eg. 0.01) that killtargets the torch, removing its model entirely. You need both steps so that both the torch's light and model are disabled.
The other is fake shadows cast by breakable brushes that are lit up when the brush is broken. First you need to create lights with a negative value to simulate the shadows cast by the brush. Then you need to create copies of those lights in the exact same spots but with positive light values and spawnflag 1 (start off). Then make the brush target a relay which targets the positive lights, so when the brush is broken the lights activate and cancel out the shadows. I dont know why but simply targetting the lights with the brush doesn't work, so a relay is necessary.

Inky

Post by Inky »

Sure, you're right: diverting an existing type will never be as clean as creating a brand new one. On the other hand it was as easy as adding just 3 lines of code (a brand new type would require a bit more work) and as long as the sound and chunk type are suitable for my needs, I can add custom skins for virtually every variety of stone in the game with no more coding, and have nice debris with the same exact decoration as the exploded wall they come from: roman fresco, egyptian bas-relief, etc. I like this idea! :D

Your tricks about lights sound very interesting and have definitely to be tried! Thank you! :)

Inky

Post by Inky »

What would you answer in that uncomfortable situation?

Latest addition to the website consists in a dedicated page about RPG-like situations within Wheel Of Karma.