Using with WINE on an old Mac?

With the destruction of D'Sparil and Korax, the forces of Light believed that they would gain respite from the vicious attacks of the Serpent Riders. They were wrong. All of humanity rests on the edge of your blade.
ChairmanRills

Using with WINE on an old Mac?

Post by ChairmanRills »

Hello!

Nice to have stumbled onto this website and forum.
I hope this is the right section for this kind of inquiry.

I've recently installed Quake via Quakespasm/Darkplaces on an old Macbook using WINE. I'm not very into the technical jargon, but I've been able to get it to run (both ports), Mission Packs 1 & 2, and even one Mod called Fantasy Quake (might be of interest to Hexen fans).

To my point, I've been interested in getting HexenII to run on the same machine

I've downloaded the h2demo.exe and was able to run that seemingly okay (except no constant mouselook?), I've also downloaded the hexen2_20190330.exe and opened it with WINE.. after a few minutes it brings up the installation screen. After going through the prompts and clicking install, the blue bar finishes, and the status remains "Moving Files" but nothing happens after that. I'm not able to click "next" because it's still greyed out. The only option is "cancel" and even when I click that and it asks if you want to cancel HExen II installation, after clicking yes, nothing really happens and I need to force quit the application.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
samkod

Re: Using with WINE on an old Mac?

Post by samkod »

You've reached the right place :)

Darkplaces is a source port that is available for native Mac. There's no need to run it through wine. Same applies for uhexen2 and uhexen2-shanjaq. You just have to compile from source. I'll work on getting you a Mac binary built and will provide a zipped archive of hexen2_20190330.exe. Are you using intel or powerpc?
ChairmanRills

Post by ChairmanRills »

Hi Samkod
thanks for the reply!
It seems I was able to get HexenII plus Portal of Praevus running on my machine to at least play the campaign, but it the
hexen2_20190330.exe is being opened as a WINE file.

I guess I'm now just not too sure how I would be able to play Online multiplayer... do I need anything special to get online multiplayer running?

my mac is IntelCore 2 Duo. Not sure if that still matters.

Thank you

ChairmanRills

Post by ChairmanRills »

ACTUALLY
sorry, I was wrong. I was able to run it with the GL hexen version.
GLh2.exe is the file that ran. Sorry, it was a little while ago and can't remember all the details. I know I downloaded some files, and then had to use the h2demo in order to run it.

But any help would be appreciated. What I would love to know is how to best join multiplayer games and how to host multiplayer games with my friends.

thanks again.