Lightning messed up

Discussion related to Hexen II mapping. If you are currently working on a new map this is the perfect place to share your progress.
Mathuz

Lightning messed up

Post by Mathuz »

Hi guys, wanted to play the SoC expansion, however, one of the maps has strange lightning bug as you can see in the screenshot.
As it happens, I also have this king of lightning problem in my map. It occurred when I tried the "dynamic lightning" trick with the door, where you target and also close_target the light source so the light turns on only when door are opened. However when I copy the map to unmodified 'portals' folder, the bug disappears. So it may be something with my mod folder. Anybody ever experienced this and have any idea what may be the cause?

Inky

Re: Lightning messed up

Post by Inky »

You're lighting problem looks very minor compared to the ones I had, judging by your screenshot. My map looked a complete kaleidoscope or was even pitch black! :lol:

In both cases it was because the .bsp and .lit file in my mod directory had not the same date. They came actually from different compilations (maybe I compiled with light first then without later on?) and were therefore not aligned, hence the weirdness.
The solution was deleting the .lit file and running the compilation again (with light!). Fixed.

Now, it was not with the SoC expansion at all, so your problem may be a very different one actually.
But still what I explained is always good to know because you feel helpless when it occurs for the first time! :|
Mathuz

Post by Mathuz »

Thanks Inky, you were right of course. At first I thought of a different reason as the issue occurred in SoC as well, but then I checked and there WAS a different date lit file. That's weird. I do not recall where did I get if from, do we have a link to Hub 2 somewhere?
Inky

Post by Inky »

Glad it helped. :)
whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

Mathuz, as far as I know the only version of SoC hub 2 by Shades for download is here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/6fauqn0zy ... 2.zip/file

If its still messed up, you may want to just delete the offending .lit file. Because lit files are only for the colored lighting, which isnt absolutely essential to the experience.