Wheel of Karma: a Tulku odyssey

This forum is specific for mods, hub, and pak related content, development, and releases.
Inky

Wheel of Karma: a Tulku odyssey

Post by Inky »

Hello everybody!

I am more than happy to have discovered this place and wonder how I could ignore its existence for such a long time. :shock:
For more than one year now, I have been working on a very ambitious project (ambitious for me actually, when I see Mathuz' screenshots I can only feel EXTREMELY humble! :oops: )

Before telling more about my project, I just want to pay tribute to Rino whose 22 maps mission pack was the seminal shock who made me absolutely want to try my luck with mapping and transformed a long-term Heretic/Hexen lover into an enthusiastic wannabe Hexen II mapper! :lol:
Congratulations once again Rino, you did a fantastic job and made my vocation.

I have never been so kind of fights and the way I prefer playing is setting god mode on and exploring, being awed at nice architectures, discovering secrets, solving puzzles, enjoying the mapping tricks used by the author (or noticing the mistakes sometimes :lol: ) So all my mapping attitude tends towards that (single player maps only, of course).

I especially enjoy the Tulku hub (all the more that I waited so many year before I eventually discovered Portal of Praevus) and my opinion is that Raven did a great job on it but could have make an even better one. The tibetan theme offered lots of opportunities and ideas they didn't exploit to their fullest I think. That's why I chose to set my own project in Tulku (not to mention my love for Asia). By the way, PoP has interesting features compared to the original game (like objectives) and I want to use them for sure.

My mission pack will call Wheel of Karma: a Tulku odyssey. As the title suggests, it will be a tibetan adventure with a decent amount of maps and a strong storyline continuing the Heretic/Hexen + Chronicle of the Deeds + Portal of Praevus storyline (I should be able to set a story respecting the pitch bible of all of them, phew!). The focus will be on the narration, puzzles, mechanisms, secrets, etc. Monsters will be there to avoid a feeling of emptiness in the maps unless they are actual pieces of puzzles, but I will try to go against my nature and put a reasonable amount of them for those loving fights (some beta testers will especially be needed at that stage to help me balance battles and available artefacts correctly).

This far I am a bit reluctant to show you screenshots because 1°) with a bit of luck I may be able to publish the Part 1 soon enough to go on directly with the real thing rather than screenshots 2°) Compared to stunning Mathuz' pictures, my levels are in the same mood as vanilla Hexen II, so far less awing 3°) I decided to follow Rino's 22 maps mission pack footsteps with small levels, each one dedicated to a specific atmosphere/puzzle, so showing a screenshot would more or less reveal the whole level at first glance in one single picture and spoil any surprise and enjoyment. I didn't suffer months and months to spoil all of my work so stupidly! :?

I expect that the whole odyssey may be around 20 maps, if not more. I will take me years for sure, but Part 1 is not so far from being ready, and the first step is always the hardest.

Wel, as you can see one of my distinctive features is that I am soooooooo verbose! :lol:
But it's such a pleasure to exchange about our beloved game series, and there not so many places where I can do it. There are few of us! So I hope you'll be in the mood for exchanging too, and my next posts will probably be more concentrated on mapping technics, coding and so on (and praising your works of course ! :D ).

Cheers!
Inky from Paris, France.
Inky

Re: Wheel of Karma: a Tulku odyssey

Post by Inky »

PS
I posted my message here because I found no reserved space for presentation of new comers and because my project will actually be a mod. I think Wheel of Karma will be to Pop what Pop was to Hexen II.
Mathuz

Post by Mathuz »

Welcome Inky, so good to see another enthusiastic mapper. You see, what I really loved about Heretic/Hexen series were the puzzles, so I'm really looking forward to your project. You decided for mapping at the right time as Hexen II have finally became mapping/modding-friendly.

About your maps, it's not always about tremendous amount of details. You have to find some patience and play with the lightning a bit, you will see how the maps suddenly become nicer to look at. Often, one rightly positioned light source totally changes the vibe of the scene.

Best of luck and keep us updated!

Cheers!
Inky

Post by Inky »

Hello Mathuz,
Thank you so much for your kind and warm welcoming! I am 100% sure lighting can make a whole difference, and it's obviously a field of knowledge which is entirely to discover for me. I could relatively well avoid the problem of lame lighting in my maps this far because WoK will mainly be an outdoor adventure, so was often enough to put a single sun light and have all the work done by Ericw's tools. :lol: :oops: :oops:
Yet looking at your screenshots, I see you could certainly give some precious advice about this topic and I may dare to ask for some when time has come to make some indoors. ;)
Mathuz

Post by Mathuz »

I will gladly try to help. I tried to find a compromise between visual side of the map and the fun aspect, because these two don't always work together. My maps are mostly not original ideas. They are a mix of real places/objects and design ideas I have experienced in the past and somehow put together in my head :lol: So, often you will find places that you may be familiar with. ;) But the bottom line of this is, you must have some picture, or some artwork of the thing you want to create in your map. The process is more straightforward then and the final work looks better.
Inky

Post by Inky »

I think we have a similar approach, but I had never thought of applying that to lighting itself, that's brilliant! :)
I'll try to find pictures of dramatically lighted places on the net, then try to obtain something alike in my maps. :D
Inky

Post by Inky »

Just a small update here. On my website (visit it! :D ) I made a dedicated page to Wheel of Karma with a screenshot.

The least I can do is to post it here as well!

This is the beginning of your Tulku Odyssey, in the start map called Winnowing Pass (the name should remind you of something ;) ).

And yes! It's the demoness, it's a 100% PoP continuation, with the tibetan atmosphere, the various game enhancements brought by the missionpack... and you'll need to have Portal of Praevus installed to be able to play it.
Inky

Post by Inky »

Hello,

Wheel of Karma: a Tulku odyssey has never been so close to being released (at last !!! :lol: )

Check the new page on my website to know more about the RPG additions.

Would anyone be interested in beta testing?
I mean... not just playing the maps before anybody else, but really trying to find all the bugs, taking note of all problems and things that don't work so well, to let me a chance to fix that before the official release.

Thanks a lot in advance. ;)
Mathuz

Post by Mathuz »

I can test it if you want ;)
Not only I test my maps all the time, I actually have this habbit of just lurking and runnig around the maps and checking every corner when I play games, so I may be suitable :lol:
Inky

Post by Inky »

With pleasure Mathuz. :)
Please just give me a little bit time to fix the last annoying bugs I know about, and I should be able to send you something... maybe before the end of the week, I hope. :)