Standalone map: Shifting Sands

This forum is specific for mods, hub, and pak related content, development, and releases.
whirledtsar

Re: Standalone map: Shifting Sands

Post by whirledtsar »

Mathuz, i've fixed that issue with the maulotaurs. It turns out it was caused by their earthquakes.

But now I'm having difficulty getting their size/collision right. I dont know if youre familiar with hulls in the Quake engine, but basically there is a small preset amount of possible sizes w.r.t. collision with the level geometry. The player hull works fine for the regular maulotaur, but it's much too small for the boss maulotaur. The golem hull matches his size well, but it results in him getting very easily stuck on level geometry and floating. There doesnt seem to be a perfect solution.
Mathuz

Post by Mathuz »

That reminds me of the bug I previously pointed to, regarding golem and yakman getting stuck in the geometry all the time.
Here's the thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5

I could check the behaviour, but I started getting "QCC_StoreToPointer doesn't know how to store to that type" error during compilation of your HC files, even with the latest FTEQCC. What compiler do you use or maybe you have progs.dat available?
whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

The progs.dat on github have been updated now.
I use the same compiler. There might be an inconsistency between my local files and the files hosted on github. Could you post a screenshot or log of the compilation errors?
Mathuz

Post by Mathuz »

So I tested it in the exact same arena map I posted the video from, however, I have different results as you described. They were not getting stucked in the geometry, actually they were clipping through it a bit, like if their hull is still too small.
whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

Thats because they do still use the small hull. It seemed like the lesser of two evils. Since with the big hull they get bugged pretty much immediately if around small slopes or other floor irregularities. Were you able to get the code compiling again?
Mathuz

Post by Mathuz »

Well, it's definitely lesser evil as it is only cosmetic issue. However, what can be done about that? Those hulls are hardcoded? If so, how about using 'hull 5-hydra'? It is shorter, what may not be such a big issue, but wider. And how exactly works 'hull 0' which is supposed to be based on the bounding box? The last option would be modifying the model, making it a bit slimer. In the end, the original sprite was slimer, but taller than this model.

About the compiling issue, still not working. At first I only replaced maulotaur.hc. Today I tried to compile the entire updated code and now it produced various other errors. May be there are some weird options set? Could you provide me yours 'fteqcc.ini'?
whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

I will try the hydra hull and see how it looks. The height is actually an important issue, since they can enter human-sized doors with the small hull.

Yes, they are hardcoded. Unfortunately hull 0 just automatically chooses one of the hardcoded hulls, the results are the same as specifying large.

Are you compiling the whole SOC mod, or just adding the Maulotaur to your own project? Here is my ini if it will help. But if you could post a screenshot or log of the error messages that would help me understand the problem.
Mathuz

Post by Mathuz »

I compiled the whole mod. Here you go:Log

That thing with the hull sucks because this issue applies to golem and yakman as well. Did they ever test the game? Those monsters get stuck all the time, just stand behind the corner and they are done. :| How did the maulotaur actually worked before we noticed this bug?
whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

Yeah the Hydra hull doesnt work well, its much too short.

In the game Yakmen were usually in large, flat outdoors areas. Personally I didnt notice the issue at first because my test map was all flat and the only released map with Maulotaurs used a flat arena.

The compiling error has been fixed.
Mathuz

Post by Mathuz »

So the options are either keeping the 'player hull' or trying to design the map in such a way that 'golem hull' monsters won't get stuck, what may not always be the option. For example making 45 degrees corners or using the clip brushes a bit to smooth the environment.

If I may have another suggestion about maulotaur. His deadliest attack was always the floor fire. Here, that attack is a bit slow. It is pretty easy to avoid and he often actually outrun it. Just a suggestion if you ever revisit the code ;)