Pushable brush behaviour

Report a bug found in Hexen II or HexenWorld
Mathuz

Pushable brush behaviour

Post by Mathuz »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po1lKf-5dhs

As you can see in the video, pushable brushes act quite oddly. At the certain points of the room/map the push slows down. When you try to push the brush back, it accelerates at the same point. Like if it suddenly lost most of its weight. I tried to reproduce it in empty-room map and it acts the same. Tried on umodded r6204 build, however, when I copy the map to unmodded HoT 1.5.9., the bug disappears.

Inky

Re: Pushable brush behaviour

Post by Inky »

I totally distrust pushable brushes. Probably the most buggy brush entities, as far as I know... except for breakable brushes when they start going south, but when they work normally they work very well.

About pushable brushes, even when they work normally it's not so "normal". The hc code would most likely need some revision.
Only time I wanted to use a pushable brush I eventually gave up. True I wanted it to do something special: being pushable in only one direction, following a groove (the pushable brush was T shaped). That never worked. Maybe because the collision calculation encompassed the whole containing cuboid? Anyway I eventually used a train moving alone once touched.
But I'll probably try my luck again one day with pushable brushes... Don't like dwelling on a failure and the concept of PB in inherently interesting.

Well, I'm pretty sure none of that was helpful (that's why I didn't urge to post here) but I didn't want you to stay alone with your bug in a complete indifference. :?

By the way I think barrels can behave the same weird way. Probably the same coder! :lol:

Mathuz

Re: Pushable brush behaviour

Post by Mathuz »

I try to use it the way where you need to push something in time, which is hard when pushing speed differs all the time :D
Well, from my experience, there is no bug-free entity in the whole game :lol: Either I'm always trying to simulate behaviour the entity was not designed for (but is very logic) or the game code needs some revision. ;)