Testing Engine Limits with Maps

Report bugs found in the game, propose new feature requests, and discuss engine related content here.
Shanjaq

Testing Engine Limits with Maps

Post by Shanjaq »

Has anyone encountered issues with large maps such as disappearing entities or other evidence of exceeding limits? If so, please try this pre-release and let me know if the issue persists:

Windows W64:
https://hexenworld.org/downloads/hexen2 ... -r6142.zip

Windows W32:
https://hexenworld.org/downloads/hexen2 ... -r6142.zip

I'm still debugging the scenario where model entities placed inside brushes are causing "too many efrags" errors, but I've changed enough of the BSP allocation code to resolve a few other issues I was seeing, such as entities disappearing in the pool/statue room in Tyrant's Tome. Thanks in advance! :)
Mathuz

Re: Testing Engine Limits with Maps

Post by Mathuz »

I had issues with entities disappearing but it was about the number of entities rather than size of the map. Right now all my maps are in limits. I did some test maps to find out what the real limits are, with some weird results I try to cope with. There is hard limit of entities that cannot be exceeded. Than there is limit of entities that can be shown at once, but this I think does not apply to light entities with models. Standard light without model does not apply to this limit I think.

EDIT: I tested it. Looks like the limit is like four times higher right now? Cannot thank you enough for this, man! How much time I spent squeezing to the original limits, now I have some more freedom again ;)
Last edited by Mathuz on Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

Awesome! Before I had to split my map into two parts because things were behaving weirdly, but now it seems to work fine as just one map!
bloodshot

Post by bloodshot »

Just tried this out, this is excellent!

My final level from SoC suffered heavily from hitting all sorts of temp limits and now it works like a charm
Shanjaq

Post by Shanjaq »

Awesome! We might have an official update with these changes + another limit-breaker (hint: the Peanut Shop may need an expansion to hold its selection of artifacts) in the coming weeks, thanks again for testing :)
bloodshot

Post by bloodshot »

Sounds still cut out when there's a lot of them from so many enemies though I'm not sure if that's something that can be fixed easily

We just need fog and skybox support and this will pretty much turn into the hexen 2 equivalent of quakespasm :D