Skybox alternative

Report bugs found in the game, propose new feature requests, and discuss engine related content here.
Mathuz

Skybox alternative

Post by Mathuz »

After a usual summer off I slowly started to work on my maps again. What still prevents me from finishing the 'open-space' maps (mountains, castle exteriors) is the absence of skybox or whatever-sky. The current sky circle creates the psychedelic effect I try to avoid and the clear one-color sky texture just looks bad, the places simply look bad when looking from some higher point, like being in some kind of void and not the real world. Are there future plans to add some skybox to the HoT or do you know some effective trick how to avoid this, besides raising tall rocky walls around the place?
Shanjaq

Re: Skybox alternative

Post by Shanjaq »

Hi Mathuz! Skybox is working in the current dev build, r6183 here:
https://hexenworld.org/downloads/hexen2 ... ndows/x64/

to use, place the tga or pcx format bk/ft/up/dn/lf/rt files in the "gfx\env" folder, and set the "sky" property of your map to the name prefix, example: "bluesky_" will tell H2 to load the "bluesky_*" files, like QuakeSpasm. Here is a tutorial by @dumptruck_ds on skyboxes:

This is a dev build so a lot of things are probably broken due to the texture pipeline overhaul in progress, but it should enable you to experiment with skyboxes until the official update :)
Last edited by Shanjaq on Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mathuz

Post by Mathuz »

Great news Shanjaq. So far works flawlessly. Does this mean we are also going to have external texture support? :)
Shanjaq

Post by Shanjaq »

Yup! External textures are supported in r6183 (current devbuild is r6188, which fixes lightmapped fence textures.)

To replace a texture, place a PCX or TGA file in "data1\textures\<mapname>" or "data1\textures" of the same name.
Mathuz

Post by Mathuz »

Great news! Really appreciate your work!