Hexen 2 Graphics Mod Demostration (FN Project)

This forum is specific for mods, hub, and pak related content, development, and releases.
FiveNSeveN

Hexen 2 Graphics Mod Demostration (FN Project)

Post by FiveNSeveN »

Hexen 2 FN-Project is a graphical personal project that focus on RT-Lighthing + RT-Shadows for all vanilla hexen 2 maps.

It aslo uses JHexen 2 Textures (Credits to the autor)
But made with a personal edit for Deluxemapping + Relief mapping and brigthmaps.

Made specifically for FTE Source Port.
Its nothing special really, I thought someone already made something like this (RTS+RTL For the whole game) and thats how this project started... and because i love the game.

Inky

Re: Hexen 2 Graphics Mod Demostration (FN Project)

Post by Inky »

Catching a glimpse on your own shadow as a player is probably what I enjoy at most in this video, and my personal preference would go towards going on with that idea and working on more natural blurry edges, with a shadow widening and becoming all the more blurry and fuzzy and lighter as the part of the 3d model casting it is far from the light source.

I may be wrong but some entities may cast unnatural shadows due to the nature of what they actually represent. I think about that spinning torch the flame of which casts a shadow on the wall. Looks weird.

I'm not sure Hexen II has 2 rows of fullbright pixels like Quake (I would be interested by the answer in cas somebody knows?) but if ever it's the case, that mean that any part of a model featuring such fullbright pixel would at least cast no shadow, or even at most cast some light.

Otherwise my personal preference goes towards vanilla vibes, as far as visuals are concerned. Any engine/mod/technique or w/e showcasing crazy modern looking revisists of my old cherished games falls into the uncanny valley and I don't really feel at home anymore, most of the time... (but that's really a totally personal thing, I bet tons of ppl don't feel the same ;) )
FiveNSeveN

Post by FiveNSeveN »

I may be wrong but some entities may cast unnatural shadows due to the nature of what they actually represent.
This is true but it can be fixed with some lights that doesn't cast shadows and have somewhat a bigger ambient level but less diffuse in the same area.
my personal preference would go towards going on with that idea and working on more natural blurry edges, vanilla vibes.
FN Ligthing aims to look vanilla but aslo does its own thing at the same time, much like doom PSX, Duke Nukem 3D World, Quake 64 And Powerslave.

Vanilla Lighthing

FN-Project Ligthing

Vanilla Lighthing

FN-Project Ligthing

Thanks Inky for commeting and sharing your point of view!
Sport#TnXWAR#

Post by Sport#TnXWAR# »

Nice job. Keep up the good work.